CozyWorld.net

A rich interactive community for Cozy & other Canard Builders, Owners and Enthusiasts
Welcome to CozyWorld.net Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

SOLD!!! VariEZ - N191RJ For Sale (Flying) - $17.5K

Last post 01-14-2007, 2:11 PM by bhassel. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-14-2007, 2:11 PM 284

SOLD!!! VariEZ - N191RJ For Sale (Flying) - $17.5K

This Aircraft is SOLD!!!!!!

NOTE: I've posted this for another individual as a service to the canard community.  I know nothing about this aircraft and am not qualified to evaulate any of these statements.  Please check with the owner whose contact information is located at the bottom of the posting.

Thanks - Bob

Update 4/16/2007

Price Slashed to $17,500!!!!

Update 1/16/2007

The description mentions that a new cylinder was installed since 80 hrs.  That must be since 120 hrs., or better: the new cylinder was installed just before mounting the O-200.

The panel picture was taken before the electric (MAC) aileron trim was installed.  The LED Left-Right indicator is located in the square hole just above the ELT test switches on the right side of the panel, up.  The Left-Right hold-down switch is located below the Insight instrument.

In my concentration of getting the description and pictures together, I forgot a little detail: the PRICE !!!

It’s $20k, fix $17.5k.  I will not negotiate; I could have asked more and then go down.  This $20k $17.5k is more than realistic.

Thank you.

the other Bob ~ (Robert Jans)

Status 1/2007.

VariEze, N191RJ:

Rutan serial #651, was initiated by James Meide in 1977.  James, an FAA licensed mechanic and involved in advanced composites, followed meticulously the Rutan plans as well as all recommendations in the CP’s (Canard Pushers).  A pre-purchase inspection by James Pickering, an EZ builder (Livermore) and flyer at the time, showed excellent workmanship.

I bought the VEZE (= official ICAO identifier) on August 24th 1989.  James had 2387 hrs of building time in the EZ.  Because of an overseas assignment, I did not finish in time before leaving overseas.  I built, flew and sold one canard, the Falcon XP, before (N86FB); it still lives on in Arizona.

When it became clear that I would not return to the USA soon, I asked Robert Kuklo, an A&P and good friend, to finish the EZ.  He spent some spare time on it from the late nineties until FAA sign-off in May 2004.  Robert has built numerous homebuilts and has extensive experience in this field.  He confirmed the workmanship of James.  The only negative that surfaced was a somewhat heavy weight (765 lbs. empty) and a slight heavy right wing tendency at lower speeds; the latter is corrected with an off-center electric aileron trim position during slow flight.  Unbalanced fuel loads also require trim, obviously.

The EZ is registered to Robert Kuklo.  As an “alien” I cannot hold an N registration; the A/C is always hangared at KTCY, maintained by Kuklo.  TTAF 120.3 hrs.

original size

original size

General description.

Standard VariEze according to the Rutan plans and all applicable CP’s.

Extended 4” nose for improved looks/appearance

Updated stronger nose-gear fork; manual gear operation

Fully covered nosegear strut for minimum drag

Brock nosewheel swivel

Stiffened main landing gear

Two inspection openings for access to instruments/avionics and nosegear

Full length GU canard (not affected by rain, see later)

Retractable side step

500 W retractable landing light

improved fuel tank sight glasses on all 3 tanks

main tanks hold 29,3 glns total; header tank 2.5 glns.

all steel fittings on firewall

fiberfax and kevlar fire protection on main spar in engine compartment

cabling for nav lights (lights not installed)

top cowl is of lightweight kevlar

NACA flush cooling air inlet

manual Air Brake

12 AH sealed battery

Grove hydraulic brakes

Lamb tires; extra Ken Miller tires

Vortilons, but no trailing edge fences (ugly, not required)

James Aircraft wheel pants are ready to be installed

A very nice Dickey weather cover, covering all except the wings and canard

Firewall backward:

original size

Continental O-200 ~ 500 hrs SMOH; one new cylinder 80 hrs.  At 100 hrs AFTT, 3 cylinders measured in the 70-ties; one in the high 60-ties.

Marvin Shebler carburetor

B&T propeller 62” x 66”; urethane leading edge

Aluminum spinner

Sportflight stainless steel exhaust stacks 2x 2-in-1

B&C lightweight alternator

B&C lightweight electric starter

B&C overvoltage protection circuit: not installed yet

Don Jones Air box/plenum; is said to provide 100 extra RPM; not installed yet

Panel:

original size

Electric MAC servo switch plus LED position indicator for aileron trim

Whelen eyebrow lights

Small diameter vertical speed indicator (0-2000’)

Cessna airspeed indicator

Vertical compass

Sensitive altimeter with Kolsman window

Manifold pressure gauge, small diameter

“Iceman”; digital carb ice detector; adjustable; test button

Electronics International Volt-Am-meter with discharge warning light

Electronics International oil pressure and temperature indicator with warning lights

Insight GEM 602, 4 cylinder bar graph indicator for CHT & EGT, fully adjustable

FloScan 9000 digital RPM, hobbs, fuel used since reset, instantaneous fuel flow and NMPG (coupled to the Garmin GPS)

Garmin GNC 300 XL GPS/COM

Becker transponder with ACK encoder

ELT in rear seat compartment with test switch on panel

A set of idiot lights with audible (switchable) and visual warning for canopy lock, gear up/down and airbrake out

Switches: Master, avionics master, landing light, panel lights, spares; starter button.

A number of circuit fuses

Manual pitch trim, throttle, mixture

Canopy safety lock

Ignition switch + key

Oregon-Aero pilot seat; 4 point harness; the passenger compartment is unfinished

Note: GU canard behaviour.  I have extensively tested its behaviour in rain; the outcome is always: as soon as any moisture is encountered, the canard pitches lightly up; a slight down trim is appropiate in rain. It’s nearly a non-event.

I have some extra tires and inner tubes, including one leak-proof nose tire (filled with some kind of foam).

Further description.

The airplane is (un)finished.

What does that mean?

1.                  The airplane is finished, legal and safe; I have over 120 hrs on it and it is ready to go.  It has all it needs to fly wherever.

2.                  Due to my overseas living since 1993, I was unable to finish the airplane; so I asked a friend of mine to make it flyable.  That’s what he did and not anything more.  So I have a long list of things that could be installed, tweaked, made better or complete.  In other words, this EZ leaves plenty of room for a homebuilder to put his/her own mark on it.  The following is my wish list:

Wheelpants are included but not yet installed

Airbox/plenum included: install

TE fences (if slow speed behaviour scares you – initially)

Front seat covering material (available but not installed)

Canard should be cut short; 4” each side, recommends Rutan

Overvoltage device available: install

Altimeter exchange (a better altimeter is available, not installed)

Vertical compass to be relocated (too much influence from metal and radio)

Trio auto-pilot, where now the vertical compass is located

Roll-over structure

Passenger compartment finish

Prop extension

Other prop, like silver bullet or Catto???

Quick release cowling fasteners

E-ignition

Key-lockable canopy

The O-200 engine is “tired” and will need some kind of a top overhaul in a not-to-distant future.  I’ve flown that engine in my C-150 for 50 hrs and then 120 hrs in the EZ.

I test flew with ~ 20 lbs of steel under my seat; this is now ~ 10 lbs but can be taken away entirely once the canard is shortened (I only weigh 147 lbs)

The A/C is located at KTCY (Tracy, California).  I travel to the USA to fly my EZ.  I rent a hangar.  N191RJ is registered in my friend’s name, as aliens are not allowed to own a US-registered A/C anymore (for “security” reasons).

The following are measured numbers:

Having some accurate instrumentation on board, like a digital RPM gauge, manifold pressure gauge, GPS, etc. I established the following:

• At exactly 60% power (60 BHP) at 8000’ the no-wind KTAS is 133 (153 mph).  Engine showed 20” MP and 2500 RPM; 26 nm/gallon and 4.7 gln/hr.  Those were the instruments talking.  Doing some calculations, something must be slightly off, as the above numbers result in 28 nmpg.  I assume the GPS speed number to be accurate, I noticed that the fuel flow sensor is 7% on the negative side (the actual flow is lower and a fuel fill results in 7% less fuel intake than the indicator shows; this can be easily adjusted, but I left it that way, to have a safety cushion).

• A full throttle resulted in 2700 RPM, 25” of MP at 4500” DA and 141 KTAS (162 mph).  With wheelpants I plan to see 170 mph and a shortened canard is good for another 2-3 mph).  A prop extension and the right prop might result in another 5-10 mph; the airbox/plenum in one more 2-3 mph.

Tim Lodolce, aka “Tiger” made the first flight and raved about the airplane.  Paul Werner, another EZ driver knows my EZ also very well.

Why selling?

To keep peace in the family I need a side-by-side seater (I’m married now; not when I started on the EZ) plus luggage space.  I ordered a Liberty XL2 in the year 2000 which will be delivered in early 2007.  I’m also partnering in a soon to be finished homebuilt Barracuda.

Robert Jans

Dobbenwal 90

9407AH ASSEN

The Netherlands

T: +31 592 371 563

F: +31 592 409 513

E: bobjans @ amazed.nl [Note leave out the spaces around the @ symbol]

Filed under: ,
View as RSS news feed in XML